Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shopping at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market!


Although eating out is a favorite pass time of mine, cooking at home is just as fun. When I do cook at home, I get my supplies at the Halifax Saeport Farmers market!


I'm not usually one for crowds but there's something special about the market. The smell of all the wonderful foods cooking. The vibrant colors from the many craft vendors. The array of meats, produce, dairy and breads, and all under one big roof! The people that fill the aisles is just another part that makes this weekend ritual such an enjoyable one.


I always take the time to browse every aisle. Many of the vendors stay the same while some are always changing,  you never know what new items you'll find here from week to week. There is always a couple of favorite spots that I visit every week.

A visit to the market is pointless without my yummy chocolaty goodness from Boulangerie La Vendéenne. These guys are pretty popular so you have to get there early before they start selling out. I try to make it by 8am, 9am at the latest. This amazing pastry is filled with custard and chocolate...how could anyone say no to that! And of course, I always pick up a loaf of bread while there. My usual favorites would be the apricot or raisin loaf. Picking just one is hard to do!

 
Boulangerie La Vendéenne

And what goes great with bread? Milk of course! 

Not any milk, Fox Hill Cheese milk. I first discovered these guys while visiting the Annapolis valley. We simply followed the little signs to this wonderful place. We fell in love with the cheese right away. Cumin Gouda was, and still is our favorite of all the cheeses. I shouldn't forget the gelato they make. One word, Pistachio, try it. And now our most popular reason for visiting Fox Hill Cheese, their milk. Definitely give it a try.  I like knowing that my milk comes from happy cows. 

Fox Hill Cheese
As well as milk, yesterdays purchase included some yoghurt, an ingredient I needed for making lamb Korma. Lamb which was also purchased at the market.

East Coast Family Market / Blois Family Farm is my number one spot for buying my lamb and goat. Great service and wonderfully kind people to do business with!

NO visit to the market is complete without a meal, snack or beverage. I always wait to grab a coffee at the market. There's a great selection of spots, my two favorites are Steve-o-Renos and Java Blend. I also try to save my appetite for the market so I can indulge in a homemade crepe, a nicely stuffed breakfast wrap or even a wonderful spicy samosa. There's something for everybody. My latest purchase was a Tamal from El Gallo Mexican foods, located on the second level. Another great dish served at the market.

For a good visit, give yourself a few hours. There is an ATM at the market but I would advise that maybe you take some cash out before you get there. Hope the Market puts a smile on your face like it does for me when I enter the doors.

The Halifax Seaport Farmers Market is a must see for anybody visiting or living in the Halifax area. 

Until next Saturday!


The sweet Doberman, anybody know her name?





No comments:

Post a Comment